Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Best oncology visit so far!

As I am currently back on chemo, I get to see an oncologist every three weeks. Recently I seem to get the Head Oncologist each time, maybe because I am something of an enigma!

Yesterday was my three-weekly visit, and it was of particular interest as I recently had a CT scan. Sure enough, it was the Head Oncologist who summonsed us into his consulting room, with his usual serious face. "I have mixed news" he said, "the scan shows a build up of fluid around your kidneys, lungs and heart, so I was going to recommend that we stop chemotherapy, and insert an external drain." (Meaning that due to risk of infection I would not be able to have any further chemo, so this would be bad news.)

His face clouded over as he continued, "However, your blood tests are completely contradictory. They show that your kidney function is better than it has been for months, your anaemia is much improved, and even your cancer markers are extremely positive. This is all very unexpected, and to be honest, doesn't make any sense!"

He then proceeded to give me a physical examination, which confirmed that there is no fluid on my lungs. He concluded, "I propose that we continue with chemotherapy for now, as we really cannot explain what is happening with you." Monika interjected "prayer," "God," "a miracle" a number of times, but he wasn't having any of that!

So what do we make of the consultation? Well it was a good exercise in holding back laughter! But more seriously I came away with two contrasting thoughts. One is that my life is still very precarious, in that a kidney failure is still a distinct possibility - a case of 'when' not 'if' for the doctor; the pressure on my heart if fluid builds there is dangerous in the extreme; and fluid on the lungs isn't a great option either!

Secondly, the contradictory tests merely exemplify the two worlds in which I have lived for the past few months. One, the medical world, is hope-less and utterly negative. The other is the world that God sees, and defines, and this is the world in which I have been living mostly. It is filled with hope, because God is in control ultimately. It is the world which has seen me visit Australia and Thailand and spend a month in Europe against medical advice. It sees me eating well, sustaining my weight, and with good energy levels. And at the end of this life, it will see me walk into eternity with my Lord and Saviour, Jesus.

21 comments:

  1. Well said and our prayers remain with you. God is the God of mysteries and it is great to see how that works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your faithful prayers, encouragement and support - greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Yeah to all the God/good stuff. Thanks for useful updates for our prayers. Always like it when I can pray specifics:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue...love you guys and all you faithfully do for Jesus

      Delete
  3. You are nothing but an utter inspiration Philip Clark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tsk...I do my best but it is really a God thing!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful story, Phil & Monika! Why is it so hard for a doctor to acknowledge the power of God at work? We pray for a breakthrough in the minds & understanding of the medical staff. We pray for the aroma of Jesus to infiltrate the darkness & futility of human reason, that the Kingdom of God would be established & elevated in our health system. Thank you Lord for the protection of Phil's organs & we release complete healing in every part of his body in Jesus' name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely...I would love to one day get the all clear so that the medical staff can only worship God and acknowledge Him as the ultimate healer.

      Delete
  5. Gods loving mercy is greater than we will ever understand, and I am glad of that. And what a joy to witness.Bless you Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep the Faith guys - your prayers and the continual prayers of those who are bringing you before God daily are being answered one day at a time. Praise God for His everlasting arms surrounding your lives that will never let go, regardless of what the external circumstances might be saying!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, we do not underestimate for a minute the difference that all the prayers are making!

      Delete
  7. We continue to pray with you! You are often the recipient of earnest prayer by the leadership of Wellington Diocese and your friends here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike...the prayers of those we know and those we don't are massively important.

      Delete
  8. I'm praying for you all the way Phil
    My God preserve your body into everlasting life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Phil and Monika

    Have only just read your update.

    Does this wonderful on-going miracle, Phil, include now being tidy? I still haven't got over our shared study room experience 27 years ago...

    You remain in our prayers and Praise God for you.

    Love David and Pip

    ReplyDelete